Over the course of the last several days I've been plagued with a couple pretty massive performance issues running MySQL under Docker(-compose) in our developer environments. Everyone in our office is running either a Mac or some flavor of Linux. In both cases I spent a couple of days search for a solution, running into several roadblocks, and exhausting many Google search terms. Since I had such a difficult time finding the solution, here are the symptoms I was seeing and what finally worked in our case, maybe it'll save someone else time.
I recently realized I have several open-source projects I'm a maintainer or owner of which I've never really discussed on this site or on social media. Some of these projects have been pretty specific and tied to the other projects I was working on at the time, but several do have the potential for wider general use. I figured now was a good time to start talking about some of these projects and the problems they are intended to solve.
Posted by: Jeremy Satterfield in development 3 years ago.
A couple of years ago I was working with a couple other languages beside Python and began to get frustrated with their virtualenv equivalents. Not that they were doing anything wrong, just that they didn't work the way I was used to with virtualenvs. On top of that, they didn't work well together. I wanted to see if I could get something working that used the workflow I was used to and managed all the languages I was working with. So after a little poking around I found that many of the newer, "modern" languages had ways of running them from custom paths. I did a bit of work and before long I had a couple of these languages installed in virtualenvs and working side-by-side.
Posted by: Jeremy Satterfield in development 3 years, 1 month ago.
This past week I gave a short presentation at the monthly TulsaWebDevs meeting about setting up a secure website using Let's Encrypt. I covered a brief (minimal) overview of how SSL/TLS works and a comparison in the processes of the traditional way to acquire an SSL certificate and acquiring a certificate via the ACME protocol. The slides are now up if you'd like to check them out over on my Presentations page. If you'd like to view my speakers notes simply press `s` while viewing the slideshow in Chrome.
Posted by: Jeremy Satterfield in development 4 years, 4 months ago.
Today I finally figured out the solution to a problem I've been trying to solve for a while. It's kind of hacky and maybe a bad idea, but now I know it's possible. The problem has always been that I'd like to test that a function recurses, but not needing it to actually have the recursion execute within to test. Just a unit test to assert that recursion is happening. After a little thought about how Python stores references I came up with this.